Because I promised :) I made two 9x13 pans the other night for a family at our church and I must say, it was awesome. Not because I made it but because I googled "real mac and cheese recipe" and picked the one with the most stars and reviews (heart google).
A few changes I made:
-I altered it a little and used colby and cheddar cheese and of course some fresh parmesan.
(You can also add mustard or tobasco for a slight different kick) :)
-I used shells instead of macaroni noodles
Fannie Farmer's Mac and Cheese
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- 3 In a large saucepan melt butter.
- 4 Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- 5 Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- 6 Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- 7 Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- 8 Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- 9 Turn off flame.
- 10 Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- 11 Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
- 12 Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 13 Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- 14 You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use - once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer - I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.